It took nine months, a team of ten, and several false starts but we finally launched the brand new (and vastly improved) Rough Guides website at Penguin.
This editor’s letter gives the full overview but it was a major project switching off the 15-year-old and embarrassingly dilapidated original site and replacing it with something fit for 2013.
Aiming to create an inspirational travel space rather than a mere book publisher’s online shop, we focussed on several aspects:
- Big, bold photography – the most compelling on the web
- Responsive design and an enhanced user experience from the homepage to the T&Cs section
- A new home for features, debate, comps and updates from 60+ authors across the globe
- A thriving community section populated with RG authors and editors
- Stunning and shareable galleries
- Beautiful pages to showcase Rough Guides’ world-class travel editorial
It’s been pretty well-received by users and industry insiders alike, which was a relief. Email me direct for a full PPT on the redesign and development work.